Monday, March 01, 2010

A Year of Blessing - February 22, 2010



Sometimes it is hard to see the blessings. Right now is one of them. Oh I know I can choose to see all the 'common' blessings: food, clothing, etc. But I am learning to search the day for the special. For the uncommon. For the one that the Lord sets before me...just for me.

You see, Kaleb is back in the hospital. He took his favorite toy, Platty the platypus, with him. When I go to play with K, Platty acts out some of the medical stuff Kaleb is going through himself. Today, Platty talked about blood draws, breathing treatments, and IV's with the 'Monster IV Machine'. He attacked the IV machine, somehow avoided the blood draw, and decided the breathing treatments were just something to do. After this, Platty went on to become friends with some aliens...and the medical disclosure was ended.

My heart breaks for Kaleb, his sister, his dad, his mom. Kristi endures what no mother should as her son endures what no child should. David and Hannah try to keep on a 'normal' schedule while they are gone, but that in itself is a struggle. I feel totally helpless and very unhelpful. At the same time, I love the time I get to spend with Kaleb and Kristi.

So what is that 'God given' blessing in all of the heartbreaking reality? I suppose it is the humility I feel in the presence of Kaleb and Kristi. Their dependence on God, their endurance, perseverance, and striving for joy in the middle of the awful. They give praise to Him. In all of this. They don't depend on their own strength, but on the one who knows what the future holds and is strong enough to carry them through it. I am humbled. And I love them, dearly.

Romans 5:1-5 (New International Version)

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

2 comments:

Linda L said...

Tammy, I see a blessing in all of this (looking from the outside, in)...I think God gave you as the perfect mother-in-law and grandma...er, Mema, for Kaleb. He knew just what He was doing when he brought David and Kristi together...that they needed just the right person with the insight to be there for them and their children. You are a rare person (I think) to face such heartache with the courage and faith you have. You see the hurt, you feel helpless, yet you praise our Almighty Father in every circumstance! I love that about you. You're just the kind of friend I need and want to be like.
You're my hero today.

Kristi Bowers said...

:)