Monday, March 22, 2010

A Year of Blessing - March 21, 2010



There was a time when I didn't go to church. My mom was a Christian. My dad was not. And many times my dad's plans didn't take into account that my mom might want to go to church. And many times my mom was just too tired. I didn't know any better. It was normal for me to go, or not to go. That was just the way it was.

I always went Vacation Bible School and to Camp when I was old enough. I raised half of my own money for camp and my mom always pitched in the rest with extra for the canteen so I wouldn't starve. (Camp food was always good, but the candy and pop from the canteen was a treat!) At camp I learn that I wanted to go to heaven and be with Jesus, and was baptized not to go to hell. My dad was very angry when I got home, and I was allowed to play at my cousins for 2 hours while my mom talked with him. Later, the preacher came and talked to my daddy and he was baptized too. He was very strict from that time on and we never missed going to church, ever.

I was a teenager when I was baptized again. I was old enough to know what sin was, and that I had sinned. My mom was very happy to see me baptized. She was sad not to see the first time. My dad hugged me but said nothing.

Later, though, I found and accepted the grace and mercy God has planned for His children. The family above taught me that a life in Christ was more than not going to hell or having your sins forgiven, it was a life filled with joy, a life of wonder in Jesus, a life that God was so involved in, that every breath taken was a gift from Him to be cherished! Church is not a place we attend to stay right with God, it is a body that has been redeemed BY God. It is the body of Christ that is alive and exciting and working. It is the body that praises and gives glory to the Father that created it. It is a fellowship of love. The church is a necessary part of a victorious life being lived by a plan made before time. A plan that reaches out to a world of darkness with the light of grace, of mercy, and of Life beyond measure.

Now THAT is a blessing, my friends!

Hebrews 4:15-16 (New International Version)

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

1 comment:

Terry Rush said...

Tam,

You are a victorious life!

Feel it. Sense it. Accept it.

It's His gift from Him to you!

Love you!