Monday, February 22, 2010

A Year of Blessing - February 21, 2010



Today we were suppose to have Derek's birthday party at our house, but we postponed it because Kaleb and Kristi couldn't make it due to hanging out at the hospital. So I texted everyone on Saturday that we would have it the following Sunday. Everyone except my parents. They don't text. And I forgot to call them...

On the way to meet Derek and Michelle for lunch after church, I suddenly realized what I had forgotten! I felt terrible! I quickly called my mom's cell phone and my dad answered. I asked where they were and he said, "Oh, about half way to your house." I was literally sick to my stomach. I explained the postponement and asked them to meet us for lunch at Los Cabos...our treat for not telling them. He laughed and said they would be there shortly.

I fretted all the way to the restaurant. My dad has always been quick tempered. He has mellowed a lot in the past few years but I truly expected him to be angry, and I felt I deserved it. It was a long drive.

When we all got there, dad was quite happy! Joking and smiling. I mean, really happy! Didn't even kid me too much for forgetting. We had all gotten our meals when the waiter knocked over my dads glass of ice water...onto my dad! "Here it comes..", I thought. I winced waiting for the explosion. It never came. My dad looked shocked, laughed, and said, "Whoo-eee! That is cold!" Grabbed a napkin while the waiter apologized and apologized. He looked up and said, "That's okay."

My dad. I have always loved him, but was careful to stay on his good side. My heart grew huge with this new side of my father. One I realize has been growing for quite some time now, and when put to the test, was very, very sweet indeed.

Growth into Christ is absolutely beautiful!

Oh yeah, one more thing. He picked up the check, too. Wouldn't even let us pay. Wow...just wow.

Romans 8:1-4 (New International Version)

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

2 comments:

Linda L said...

Tammy, just wanted you to know how much you bless me with your "Year of Blessing". I laugh and I cry. I'm so glad God brought us into each other's lives (and our children's). You're a true friend and I enjoy every moment we get to spend together! Love you, girlfriend...

Terry Rush said...

Tam,

I identify with much of what you wrote. Evidently we have lived similar lives. So glad it was a good day!

Much love...and admiration.