Thursday, January 07, 2010

A Year of Blessings - January 7, 2010



With the wind chill below freezing it is easy to see why I chose this photo. But there is even a deeper blessing in it than just a scarf and gloves for warmth. The scarf was my grandmothers. It was said at her funeral that she was an elegant lady at all times...and she was. There was never a day, even when she was sick, that she didn't have her hair, face, nails and clothes looking good. I remember as a child, sitting on a chair by her vanity table watching her put on her makeup or do her nails. Don't get me wrong, she worked hard! Grandma was not a fragile thing! She kept a full sized garden, canned the vegetables, worked at my Grandpa's gas station keeping books and filling the candy machines, and helped her neighbors any way she could. But the thing I will always remember about her, is the table beside her chair. She always had her Bible, a devotional book, magazines or papers of some sort to read there. And she always had a pair of scissors there too. She would cut out articles from the local newspaper that had something to do with prayer, love, or some other special characteristic she was studying, and she would stick them in her Bible or devotional. I was given more than her scarf when she died. I was given her Bible. And it was full of a woman that was just as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside.

So my blessing today is warmth. The kind of warmth that comes from knowing a truly Godly person. I miss you, Grandma.

Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

No comments: