Sunday, January 03, 2010

A Year of Blessings - January 3, 2010



This time last year I was busy adjusting to a new house: putting up pictures, moving furniture around to suit my taste, unpacking and running around with all the craziness that goes with making a place a home. By April I had decided to paint and redo the living and dining room in a more warm color. Getting samples of paint, I was just ready to start putting some color to the wall when my back started aching. Then there was pain that started down my leg. Within a few weeks I couldn't stand upright without extreme pain in both my back and leg. Walking was a real challenge and after two or three doctor visits, surgery was the only option to stop the pain. I took it. It has been seven months since surgery and I am better but not able to even think about painting the living room. I still can't lift more than ten pounds and have a constant 'funny' feeling in my legs and feet. I keep hearing..'it takes time'...and I keep thinking...'but I have so many things I want to do NOW!'

This morning I was talking with a friend who had endured many back surgeries. I complained about how the cold was awful, and the pain was a nuisance. He said quite bluntly, "You're upright aren't you? You're walking, aren't you? I figure any day I can get up and walk is a good day. The pain doesn't quit, but I can walk. And I will make the best of each and every time I can do that..and smile about it!"

Ok...he is right. It took someone pointing out this blessing in a very blunt way to realize how big a blessing it really is. Walking. I can walk. I am very, VERY blessed.

Isaiah 35:4, 6, 10
..."Be strong, do not fear; your God will come,"...
Then will the lame leap like a deer...
Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Okay...my first thought was "Hey...she took my nursing shoes!!!" LOL!!!
Isn't it great that we have friends that will sometimes point out the obvious to us even when we don't want to hear it? It's those things that we need to hear that are the truly sent from God. I'm glad you are upright and thinking positive about what things are blessing you this year! I can't wait to see many more! Love you!

Linda L said...

Tammy, I'm smiling cause I just finished a journal entry that was exactly about the same thing...how blessed I am! I read the email about Mickey Bell this morning and started crying and thanking God for blessing him and me and...well, I could go on and on. It just put into perspective how whiny I can be about little things and how God blesses all of us. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you travel this new year's journey. You make me a better person. Keep on truckin'...