Tuesday, April 06, 2010

April 1, 2010



April first! I have completed three months of blogging! That is a feat for me. I struggle with any type of journaling and for me to write my thoughts for three months amazes me.

But today is also amazing. It is a day in the middle of Passover week. One of the roots of my faith in God is connected to the Passover feast, the Seder.

In years past, the feast was the highlight of my year. Yes year. During all of the very strict ritual of the feast, I was brought closer to my Messiah, my Lord, in each of the symbolic acts. I became a participant in an event that happened almost 2000 years ago. The Seder involves all of my senses: Hearing the blessings of God and stories of freedom, seeing the candlelight and food prepared with great intent, the washing of the hands and the touching of the wine to the plate in representation of the horrible plagues on Egypt, smelling the pungent bitter herb and horseradish of slavery and the sweet of the charoset of freedom, and, of course, the tasting. Tasting each of the foods representing the passage from slavery into freedom, taking it in with all of my senses. Making it a part of me.

Then understanding that my savior took this meal, with all of the ritual representations of his life and death. He then fulfilled each, including the sacrifice of the Passover lamb, the giving of His own life...for me. For all. And moved me from bitter slavery to sin, to the sweetness of forgiveness and a life of victory! I will never be the same again.

Remember Christ's Passover words...Easter is coming!

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 (The Message)

Let me go over with you again exactly what goes on in the Lord's Supper and why it is so centrally important. I received my instructions from the Master himself and passed them on to you. The Master, Jesus, on the night of his betrayal, took bread. Having given thanks, he broke it and said,

This is my body, broken for you.
Do this to remember me.
After supper, he did the same thing with the cup:
This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you.
Each time you drink this cup, remember me.

What you must solemnly realize is that every time you eat this bread and every time you drink this cup, you reenact in your words and actions the death of the Master. You will be drawn back to this meal again and again until the Master returns. You must never let familiarity breed contempt.

1 comment:

Linda L said...

Tammy, I especially enjoyed this post! It brought back many wonderful memories of the Sedars I have had an opportunity to be a part of. Like you, they were a hilight of my year and really helped to bring me closer to Jesus. I felt such a kinship with the Jewish people whenever I would participate in one and the wonder and mystery of the Messiah being Jesus...well, words can't explain what I felt. Thank you for reminding me of those wonderful experiences and that I can experience that same feeling EVERY TIME I take the Lord's supper.