Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Streetfighters and Warts

I took a chance last night...I said "something" to "someone" that was risky. It was preceeded by loads of prayer and much shaking of the knees, but I really needed to keep lines of communication open even if it meant hurt feelings. You've got to understand...I hurt, deeply, when I have said or done anything to hurt someone else. Doesn't matter if I didn't mean to hurt them...I still agonize over it. And to actually confront an issue, well, lets just say I get physically sick sometimes. It turned out very blessed (thank you, Lord) and communication lines are flowing again with love to boot! Then I read Terry's blog about Charles Swindoll and the quote he gave really opened my eyes to why I feel the way I do...and how important words really are:

So how do you deal with the tension of "shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves?" Let me give you a picture: you are standing with others, and all of you have sharp instruments in your hands. The first question is: "Are these scalpels or switchblades?" Both inflict injury to others, just in different ways and for different purposes. Be honest with yourself and others and commit to dealing with legalism and legalists as caring and compassionate surgeons rather than hostile street fighters. The temptation to do street fighting is very strong, and is the preferred method of the legalist. As a surgeon, you will be called upon to patch up those hurt by the street fighters.As a team of surgeons, ask yourselves a second question: "What are we here to remove--a cancerous tumor or a wart?" Pick your battles: forget the warts since they do not kill.

How many times I have done major surgery on warts! Thank you, God, for opening the eyes of the wise to express your love in such a way that we who are dim of sight can see clearly.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Wasn't that a great way to look at that! Tammy, you are always so gentle and loving! If I ever have to hear bad or painful news, I hope someone as precious as you reveals it to me. I love your heart!! By the way, everyone you meet knows you are a Christian by the way that you love. Thanks for being my friend.

Lord, forgive me when I've been a street fighter rather than a careful surgeon. Help me see opportunities to help rather than hurt and give me the skill and wisdom to know how.

Shane Coffman said...

What an amazing heart you have, Tammy! I love to hear that you care enough to say something to whoever it was, and care enough to agonize over saying it.

It also causes me to think about how many times I have let a cancer grow unchecked in my friend because I was too chicken to pull out the scalpel.

Jeanne said...

I heard all about your class yesterday!!! Sounded like it went great!! You are a creative genius!!!! So sorry I had to miss it! love ya!