Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Please Do Disturb

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me." Psalm 139:1

Sunday morning during Bible class, one of our elders (Ron), brought up the idea that God reaches into our sleeping minds and wakes us to commune with Him in some way...through prayer, study, meditation, or just listening for Him. I have had this experience many times and discussed it with others who agreed that God works in our sleep, but when Ron said it this time it struck me as very personal...I mean my sleep is sacred (just ask any of my kids who have experienced waking me, for whatever reason...I can be...grumpy!) but God, the creator of the universe waking me up?? Me be grumpy?? At first yes. It took me several months to let go of my (assumed) need for sleep but when I finally gave in, I was able to listen to the scripture or thought He brought to mind and was amazed to find my thoughts so alive and coherent in the middle of the night. Or a person I really needed to talk to God about popping into mind and really being able to bring them before the throne of God. How dare I to be grumpy...amazed, privileged, humbled, valued...yes, God does change people, even in the middle of the night. Please realize how valued you are in God's sight! "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalms 139: 14...We are the works that David speaks of being wonderful...how blessed we are when we know how the Father views us!
Thank you Father, for letting me know how valued I am in your sight! That you want to speak to me. And that you are God over all my being whether asleep or awake.

No comments: